Welcome to Martlesham Parish Council
We were pleased to fill our vacancy quickly and welcome Andrew Gartan as the newest member of the Council; he has been co-opted to the Martlesham West ward.
We are experiencing problems with some dog owners, particularly on the Recreation Ground, The Street, who allow their dogs to roam free without restriction, frightening children in the play area and intimidating other users of the area who do not own dogs. Dog fouling is also causing problems for footballers and other users of the ground and our land maintenance contractor. We appreciate the conduct of responsible dog owners who assist by keeping dogs under control and clearing up after them and hope that all dog owners will follow their example in the future.
What Have We Been Doing Recently
- A first draft of the Martlesham Neighbourhood Plan has been submitted to the District Council to assess whether a Strategic Environmental Assessment is needed
- Bracken spraying on the Common – several years of this is now showing good results with areas of well-established heather where before there was only a sea of bracken! We are grateful for funding from Butterfly Conservation
- Tackling vandalism over the summer in some of our play areas
- Funding a photo of our village sign at the entrance to Martlesham Ward, Ipswich Hospital
- Installing 3 new benches, 2 of which are in memory of loved ones
- Full Council session to consider how we deal with forthcoming challenges facing the parish
Martlesham Common Nature Reserve Open Day
We held an open day on the Common Nature Reserve on 21st August with the help of the Greenways Group. Further information and pictures are here.
Grants to Local Organisations for 2017
The parish Council will be considering all applications for grants from local organisations in the autumn. Contact the Clerk for an application form which must be completed and returned by Monday 10th October 2016. Grants are awarded for the financial year 2017/2018 and will be presented at the Annual Parish Meeting in April 2017. Any group with a project requiring Parish Council support/funding should submit their project details and business plan by 10th October 2016 at the latest.
Completion of Audit
Documents relating to our completion of audit can be found on our "Documents" page. However as a short cut, the completion of audit notice can be found here and the annual return document can be found here. These relate to the financial year 2015/16.
The Council co-opted Mr Erik Crichton to the Council on 13th July. We welcome him and look forward to his participation in the work of the Council. However since then we were sad to lose our youngest Councillor, Jess French. She has moved away from the Parish and we all wish her well in her new home. She was a great asset to the work of the Council during her time with us. We are therefore seeking a new councillor for the Martlesham West Ward and we may be in a position to co-opt a new memebr at our next meeting on 7th September. Further information about the role is here.