What Does the Parish Council Do?
All Councillors are required to adhere to a Code of Conduct to uphold standards of Public Office. Our Councillors are unpaid and give their time voluntarily to benefit the community.
Martlesham Parish Council is the first tier of Local Government and we like to think we put the 'Local' in to Local Government. It is the tier closest to local communities. It meets to agree action, policies and/or expenditure for the benefit of the parish of Martlesham.
We have 3 committees to focus on more detailed aspects:
- Development, Environment and Transport Planning, to deal with planning and related consultations;
- Recreation and Amenities, to deal with providing and maintaning facilities in the parish, and
- Finance and General Purposes, to help manage financial and legal matters.
All Council and Committee meetings are open to the public and there is a standing agenda item where the public may raise matters of concern.
We also have a number of working groups to address specific issues. Current working groups are:
- Portal Woodlands Conservation Group. This manages the work programmes and educational activities carried out to the benefit of all users for the PCWG area.
- Martlesham Common Working Group.This group was set up to help integrate Mill Heath with The Common. It also works closely with the Greenways Conservation Group on management plans for the area using volunteers and professional assistance from time to time funded by the Recreations and Amenities committee budget when grants are not available. We have had grants in the past from Butterfly Conservation to help with the management of bracken
- Martlesham Climate Group - to coordinate promote and manage all things climate related affecting and impacting the Parish.
- Martlesham Wombles - to litter pick.
- Sports Fund Working Group. This group was created to assess the demand for sports facilities and determine how any funding might best be spent. It is currently working on our proposed trim trail facility for Martlesham.
- Community Orchard Working Group. A group to coordinate work on the community orchard.
- Brightwell Lakes Working Group. To research the planning issues behind the anticipated planning applications coming out of the Brightwell Lakes Development.
- Martlesham Village Fete Working Group. To plan and organise the annual village fete.
- Volunteers Working Group. This group manages our volunteer activity.
- Wildflower Project Working Group - A Working Group to promote and support biodiversity projects within the Parish.
- Speed Indicator Device Project - This group manages our volunteer activity operating and reporting on the mobile SIDS devices within the Parish.
- Recreation Ground and Kronji's Piece Working Group - to manage Martlesham Recreation Ground and the play equipment at Kronji's Piece.
The chairman calls an Annual Parish meeting once a year (usually in April) to explain the work of the Council, to facilitate local organisations meeting the public, and to gather views which might guide the Council in its work plan.